Best 7 Online Safety Tips Video for Cybersecurity Awareness Month
October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. Here are some basic online tips from Making Sense of Security to keep your digital activity safe.
Don’t Give Out Personal Information
Avoid online phishing attempts by keeping your personal information private. Don’t give out your phone number, social security information, or banking info to someone you don’t know.
Create Complex Passwords
Create passwords with a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. Consider using password managers to create and keep track of your passwords.
Check Website Reliability
Before purchasing anything on a website ensure that it’s safe. You can do this by checking if it has a small lock icon or “https” before the URL. The “s” in “https” stands for “secure” and the lock means it’s confirmed as a safe site by your browser.
Avoid Suspicious Online Links
Be careful of websites or emails containing suspicious links. Some websites may use quizzes, freebies, or salacious stories to get you to click on them and then steal your personal information.
Keep Your Computer Updated
Computer developers release updates to keep products safe. Keep your device software up to date so it is not vulnerable to malware.
Monitor App Permissions
Learn the privacy settings for any device, app or service you use. Some apps will ask for permission to access photos and other personal information. Stay informed so you aren’t sharing anything you don’t want to.
Be Cautious with Public Wifi
Be careful when you use public wifi. When accessing public networks, anyone can use unsecured networks to distribute malware and access private information.
- Simple Cybersecurity Quiz
- FREE Identity Theft Guide
- How to Track a Mobile Number Location Through Satellite
- How to Find Out if Your Girlfriend has Cheated on You
- 7 Types of Gift Card Scams to Watch For
- 5 Scams to Watch Out for This Shopping Season
- Keeping Your Kids Safe This Halloween From RSO’s
- How To Stop Those Annoying Robocalls
- 5 Tips to Protect Yourself from Online Travel Booking Scams
- How to Protect Your Social Security Number